Pages

Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Summer '08

I'm done with finals!!!!!!

I just finished up my Irish Lit final and I took my Tudors/Stuarts final earlier this morning. Now I'm done! I'm not sure how I did on my finals... but at least I managed to write something for every question asked of me. I was thinking about it last night, and I discovered that the reason that it has been so hard for me to study for these is that I haven't had to take an unseen final in a year (except in LCST, but she gave us a very generous study guide). I haven't had to study for a history final since last Spring. Even then he gave us the questions beforehand and said that he would pick a few to be on the test. I haven't had this little guidance in studying for an in-class final ever and I haven't had to take one in so long: I'm fantastic at take-home finals, however. I really do prefer them, especially for history and English. History is less about memorizing dates and regurgitating than it is about analysis, which is much easier to do if you have ample time to really contemplate instead of doing an info-dump. English, too, usually tends to be more thoughtful when there's really time to peruse texts. I can see giving an English in class if the possible essay topics are given first and you have to prepare a few at home. I've done that and like that, but these unseen, entire semester-cumulative exams were killer.

But oh, well. They are done and I managed to write all five essays required of me today, even if they are rather average compared to the work I like to do.

So now it's summertime!!! I need to pack, go to the park and sit in the sun, do a little last minute shopping, have a few drinks at Opa, and enjoy my last few days in Bath!!!

2 comments:

Kay said...

Congratulations on being done! Now just a few more days until you are here and I can hear all your stories in person!

Anonymous said...

Yay! Happy summer! Though I have to say that I definitely prefer in-class finals because I know the agony won't last long, whereas take-home finals drag out forever.