Pages

Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Last Tutorial

Today was my last tutorial with Leslie. He had us read two plays The Rivals and The School for Scandal by Richard Brinsley Sheridan, then take notes. We didn't have to write a paper!!! In tutorial we just discussed the plays and how topical they were, and he elucidated some of the comedy. We only discussed for about 45 minutes and then Leslie told us he had enjoyed having us in tutorial, we gave him a bottle of port which we (being me and Greg) went in on together for him, we shook hands with him, and then we left. And I got on a train and bid Oxford farewell. I feel really quite sad about saying goodbye to Leslie. My tutorial has really made my experience here in England. I've learned more than I thought I would ever learn about Georgian England and I think my academic writing has improved immensely, as well. And I respect Leslie. I want for him to like me and I want to do well. I feel like my work is not in vain for him. I think I'll write him letters, as he detests e-mail. Sigh. I will genuinely miss my tutorial.

The rest of the day was spent napping (I've been really exhausted this week) and then I had dinner with Danielle, Shea, and Sylvia at a Thai restaurant near Sainsbury's Local. Tonight we are watching the movie Serendipity together, and then possibly eating the cake that Shea baked for Alli/Danielle's birthdays.

A few items I've forgotten to mention: Cinco de Mayo!!! On May 5th Nunes House decided to celebrate in style. We all got together to cook an amazing dinner of tacos and burritos-- Shea made guacamole and it was excellent. We all sat down and had an obligatory tequila shot before dinner and Coronas with dinner. Then we had pinatas!!! Unfortunately, the candy made a mess all over the floor of the common room and ASE thinks that our attempts to clean up were paltry and we got a typed note insinuating that we had a large drunken party (which we did not) and that they were disappointed in us. It's a little ridiculous. Anyways, Cinco de Mayo was great.

Another thing I haven't written about is going to Oxford last Saturday night to hang out with some of my WM friends. We went to Hertford College Ball, which was pretty much exactly like prom except with free alcohol. We had a never-ending chocolate fountain, a buffet, an open bar, and a dance floor playing hits such as 'YMCA' and 'Low.' We had a good time, but really, it was like prom, which is always so overbuilt and then doesn't quite live up to expectations. Although, the free beer made everything seem extra fun... something I certainly wouldn't have had at prom-- either before or after. My prom after-party was a sleepover at my friend Naomi's. We made s'mores and drank Sprite and watched Phantom of the Opera and I drove home at 5:00 in the morning while the sun was rising. Hahaha, oh memories...

Also, it's birthday week!!! Alli's birthday was yesterday and Danielle's birthday is Friday. I guess that's about it for now. Strange thought: Only 10 days until I come home!

2 comments:

Kay said...

Sheridan is delightful; I love his plays. I can't believe you'll be home so soon! I can't wait to see you!

Anonymous said...

I saw the School for Scandal at the Folger last weekend! It was excellent! Except that they set it circa 1900, and it would have been infinitely cooler if it were set in 1777 when it was written. (Except then I would have spent the whole time critiquing the costumes.) But it was still very good. Lady Sneerwell was done in drag, which was hilarious.

Didn't Sheridan live in Nunes House, and didn't he run off with the singer Eliza Linley from Linley House? There is a Gainsborough portrait of her in the National Gallery in D.C.