Pages

Wednesday, June 4, 2008

The United States Again

Summer 2008 has started and gotten well underway.

I've been home for a couple of weeks now, and I'm quite happy to be here. I got off the airplane to my dad waving a tiny American flag, my mom happily smiling, and Kay telling me about a pint of Ben and Jerry's waiting for me at home. In spite of the scary "leaving Bath" talk about how awkward it would be to come home nothing seemed out of place. I mean, a little, I guess. My mom had moved my room around so all the furniture was in a new formation. My cat, Sphinx, did not remember me (although Kelly seemed happy to see me). But as far as fitting back in-- no problem. Kay and I had a lovely time catching up that afternoon, and the day after I got home my cousin, Josh, came over. We always have the best time hanging out! The Tuesday after I got home Jacob arrived! The very next day we drove four hours up to Pittsburgh to see Eddie Izzard's new stand-up "Stripped." Eddie Izzard!!!!!! Eddie Izzard!!!!! The show was excellent, and the drive was actually fun-- we passed farms which are infinitely amusing to Jake.

May 3oth was Kay's 21st birthday! A group of us went out to dinner at a very nice Caribbean restaurant. We were all dressed up and pretty and I finally got to see Mike Johnson again!!!!! After dinner all of us went back to my house for a champagne toast and merriment. The next day we all gathered at Kay's for a luncheon. Generally a fantastic time (and I hope she felt the same, since it was her birthday).

Now I'm back in Williamsburg with Jake. He's taking classes while I do... absolutely nothing. I'm waiting here for my job to start on June 18th. I'm going to be an RPA for NIAHD again (basically I'm a camp counselor for a high school history camp). In the meantime I'm trying to teach myself French and I'm trying to read as many books as possible. I just finished reading Georgiana: Duchess of Devonshire, who I love with a passion, and Perfume, a book recommended to me by Josh while we were hanging out. Perfume was a subtly intriguing book-- I really, really liked it. Now I'm trying to read Charles James Fox, a book by Leslie, and Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen. So that's how I'm keeping busy. That and trying to keep up with friends. Tonight I'm going to see the Sex and the City movie with Katie! Am quite excited.

So that's life... welcome back to the Many Adventures of Me... Stateside.

1 comment:

Mike Johnson said...

Yep, that's the "Once" I'm talking about. It's good. You should see it. I'll watch it with you if you need an excuse.